Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Teaching Triplets Tuesdays: Week One

  Last week I started some of my own lessons for the kids.  I had been having troubles finding lesson plans that cater to one year olds so I'm doing my own.  The purposes of these lessons are to help my children develop and learn, but mainly they give me the opportunity to bond with my kids and they also give me something to do with them.  I don't claim to know what it would be like to have a singleton, but I feel like these lessons are ways that I can focus their attention all at the same time.  I've devised my lessons into 'chapters' and this chapter is on body parts.  This week our focus was on hands and I used the basis of the Littlest Learners concept; morning prayer, calendar time, weather (something I added), phonics about the topic, songs about the topic, a short video on the topic (again something I added), a short story about the topic, and then a topic related activity.  I'm pulling my activities from "Slow and Steady Get Me Ready" and I'll probably use some that my sister suggested; theletteroftheweek.com, abcjesuslovesme.com, and DLTK kids.  So here is what our week looked like:

Prayer:
Lord I give you today
All I think and do and say
All my work and all my play
This I give to you today

Calendar Time:
(Tune to Farajaka)
Today is Tuesday, Today is Tuesday
All day long, All day long
Yesterday was Monday,
Tomorrow will be Wednesday,
Oh what fun, Oh what fun

(Tune to Twinkle Twinkle Little Star)
When we do the calendar
We learn the month, date and year
Every week day has a name
And there's lots of numbers to count the days
So let's begin to show you how
We'll learn the calendar right now

Weather:
For this I cut out different icons to represent the weather.
I then allow the kids to stick the icon to a large desk calendar for the corresponding day.
I talk to them about what the weather will be like.

Phonics:
This week I showed and taught the kids the word 'hand', repeatedly
I then did the same with the Russian version 'rooka'
I also taught them the signed version

Songs (we watch these on YouTube):
Our Chapter Song is "Head and Shoulders Knees and Toes"
For hands we used "He's Got the Whole World in His Hands"

Video (again we used YouTube):
Kermit Talks About Hands

Story (if they haven't gotten too restless):
This week we did the story of Doubting Thomas from the Bible.  I really don't have time to go to the library, so our story selections are limited to what I can find on the internet.  I broke the story up into sections for each day.  

Activities(we didn't have time to do many this week):
Day One- We traced our hands on paper.  Later we used these as flash cards for phonics
Day Two- Hand prints. They were too young for the kit I was going to use, but you can also use the play dough hand prints I previously posted about
Day Three- Putting on and taking off gloves

We repeat everything except for the activities and the story every day.  The activities change daily depending on how much time we have.  It seems to be working out great!  The kids especially love calendar time.


2 comments:

  1. This is awesome!! I will have to check out some of these videos. YOu should include some sign language to the learning. Cindy loves it when I sing and sign to her at the same time and she has learned to do about 30 signs herself and knows lots more. Baby Einstein has a nice video called First Signs you can find on youtube. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your lesson plans. It has given me some great ideas.

    ReplyDelete