Saturday, July 21, 2012

Saturday Sprints: The Hardcore Mud Run

  Last Saturday, I participated in a Hardcore Series Mud Run....Something I will never do again!  First of all, I was hesitant to sign up for this 5K in the first place.  The website was obnoxiously vague...They mentioned obstacles and, of coarse, mud, but there were no details.  When we arrived, they charged $10 for parking, which was not mentioned on the website or in any of the confirmation emails that I received.  Since Jenya and I never keep cash on us, my poor sister and brother-in-law had to pay our entrance.  Once I stepped into the place, I stood in line to pick-up my packet, only to be told, I had to go over to a table across the way to find my number and than I had to get back in the line that I was originally in.  And pretty sure that I was suppose to sign a waiver form, that I was never told about (I overheard someone else mention something and all of the other participants were wearing an orange wristband).  Look down at the race from the festival, my heart sank...I could see nothing but obstacles and people standing in line!  At the same time I was feeling discouraged, Jenya became excited.  He decided that he want to enter this race, so he signs up (again not signing a waiver).  The race starts for us, and feeling better about things; I jump into a mud puddle, skip a ladder obstacle, climb a rope, swim across a pond, climb an even steeper rope with no back, and then I get to the 5K part of the race.   Again problems arise....Apparently three different types of trail markers were used; a thin bright pink string (no, not rope), Home Depot marking flags, and bright green spray painting blockading the paths you weren't supposed to take.  There were several parts of the trail that wasn't even marked and the markings were wind blown and falling apart.  Needless to say, I got lost (as well did Jenya).  The terrain was rugged, treacherous, and downright dangers, with steep drop-offs, protruding rocks, and debris blocking the way.  After I emerged from a trek that was most definitely longer than 3.2 miles, I proceeded to stand in line for obstacles I didn't even want to do.  I participated in another rope climb, a HUGE slide with a mud pit, I climbed a tire mountain, and then I had enough.  The lines were competitive to that of Six Flags, and an hour had already passed.. I looked at what was left in front of me (at least another hour of waiting in line for obstacles) and thought about my poor sister and brother-in-law, abandoned with six kids, and I left the course.
  I could not believe how poorly this event had been ran!  Not only was the race in itself horrible, but if I had only known what to expect, I would have never signed up in the first place.  When I read "5K", I think, okay, that will take me 25 minutes....Add in obstacles, maybe another 15 minutes.  I would have never imagined two hours!
  Anyway, with all that said, my sister brought up a good point, without the race, we probably wouldn't have been up in Denton that weekend.  And I wanted a new and different experience, a challenge rather than a typical 5K.  Boy, did I get an experience that I will never forget!
For more pictures of me go to this link and this link is for Jenya.










No comments:

Post a Comment