Thursday, July 5, 2012

Thursday Threes: Feeding Newborn Triplets

  If carrying triplets was the most difficult thing I ever did, breastfeed triplets was the second most difficult thing I ever did.  My babies were born just under 30 weeks (they were a little over 10 weeks premature).  The NICU believes that breastfeeding attempts shouldn't occur until the infant has reach the gestational age of 34 weeks.  With that being said, my kiddos were tube fed breast milk up until they left the hospital.  At the very beginning, the triplets were given donor breast milk until my milk came in.  It took exactly seven days for my milk to finally come in, but when it did, I had a very good supply.  I achieved my supply by pumping with a hospital breast pump for thirty minutes every two hours (yes, even during the night).  By the time my supplies was at its peak, I would produce about 140 mL/breast.  At 34 weeks, I started to attempt breast feeding.  I could never get it to work out...Most of the time, my kiddos would latch on, but just lay there and not really suck.  So I was forced to bottle feed them breast milk.  This meant I would bottle feed Charli Kate for 30 minutes.  Move on to Adrik and bottle feed him for 30 minutes, and then feed Tali for another 30 minutes.  After that, I would pump for 30 minutes (after I had maintained a large supply I decreased my pumpings to every three hours).  By the time I had washed my parts, I had about 30 minutes until I started the cycle again.  I continued with this until the babies were four months old.  By that time, I had had the kids home for two months and it was becoming increasingly difficult for me to continue this pattern.  It was heartbreaking for me to have to listen to my babies cry while I was attached to a machine for thirty minutes and I was mentally and physically exhausting myself.  Not only was it becoming a hindrance for me and my babies, but the kids were starting to over eat my supply.  Once I was forced to supplement with formula I decided to gradually stop the breast milk for the sanity of me and the triplets.  I had tried my best, and it killed me to put the kids on formula, but I had to do what I thought was the best decision for me and my kids.  
  To all the mothers out there that are planning to breast feed their triplets, try as hard as you can to get them to breast feed successfully.  It is impossible to pump while raising triplets.  When I was gathering information about this post, I stumbled on this site.  I wish that I had read this before the kids were born.  I would have insisted that breastfeeding attempts started immediately.  Remember to always trust your motherly instincts and try not to feel guilty if it doesn't work out.  You have to do what's best for you and your babies.



No comments:

Post a Comment