Friday, April 20, 2012

Freeday Friday: Learning to Let Your Children Fly



  Last weekend was such an enlightening experience for me.  As I mentioned in a previous post, we visited my sister, Michelle; brother in law, Byron; and their three kids; Gabe (age 6), Selah (age 3), and Mig (age 1, pictured above with me).  When it came time to feed the triplets their formula, Michelle was shocked that I still held their bottles for them.  "Make it easier for yourself," was my sister's response.  Later on that weekend I read an article in Parenting magazine about letting your child go.  It had mentioned that nearly everyone's fondest childhood memory does not involve a parent and that children need time without their parents watching their every move. 
  I don't think a new mother can hear enough times that it is okay to not be around their toddler every single waking second.  I don't mean to be negligent, but children learn, develop, and grow through experience and it is hard for them to experience the world when they are distracted by their parents. 
  With this in mind and with the infinite wisdom of my sister, my life has become more organized and more rounded this week.  After the kids eat their formula (holding their own bottles while I work on the computer), I sit them in their playroom with a small snack and I go and do housework for 15-20 minutes.  I've gotten so much done that I have actually been able to relax.  I looked at a magazine for a few minutes while the kids were taking a nap.  I even watched the last half of Grey's Anatomy during one of their naps.  Not only that, but I feel like I lead a much more rounded life.  Its truly been amazing for me and the kids love it, as well.  They have grown and developed so much this week, but I'll leave that for my 'My Family Monday' post.

No comments:

Post a Comment