Saturday, August 18, 2012

Saturday Sprints: The Sand Crab 10K

 
Sand Crab 10K:
  For as much as I hated the Mud Run, I equally loved the Sand Crab Run.  It was just enough of a challenge to make things interesting.  The sun was quickly slipping beneath the horizon at the beginning of the race and it wasn't too long into it that all runners were enveloped into blackness.  If it weren't for the small circular glow emanating from my head light, I wouldn't have been able to finish the race.  Fortunately, we were allowed to run in the sand compacted by the waves, but the start, finish, and turn around point all had to be done up in the loose sand.  The real challenge was avoiding the holes and sandcastles constructed by the beach goers earlier in the day and the wind was a killer.  Despite that, I loved every minute of this race.  I don't recall my official chip time, but I crossed the finish line at 54 minutes and 59 seconds; a time good enough to win a second place medal for my age division and a 5th overall ranking (for females).  Unfortunately,   it doesn't look like the results will be posted, so I'm not sure how many people I was competing against.
  After the race, there was a nice little party including a BBQ plate and unlimited beer for the participants.   As far as the food, I had my fill, but the beer was an indulgence I decided not to partake in.  There's just something unsettling to me about running 6.4 miles and then knocking back a few colds one.  So, all in all a great time.  I've actually decided to make this an annual thing for me, so I can't wait for next year!

Here is a link to race pictures.  The photographer only manged to get one of me and it happened to be the most hideous picture I've ever taken!

Last Weeks Training Schedule:
Monday:          Recovery (Dr. Appt. for Adrik)
Tuesday:          3 miles
Wednesday:     Active Recovery
Thursday:         4 miles
Friday:             3 miles
Saturday:         7 miles
Sunday:           Recovery

No comments:

Post a Comment