Thursday, August 2, 2012

Thursday Threes: Tips for Losing the Triplet Belly

  I know I've already blogged about this once before, but I never did it for my Thursday Threes segment.  Here are tips that worked for me when it came time to lose the extra weight:

1)     Breastfeed!!!!
 With breastfeeding alone, I lost most of the weight....50 of the 75 pounds that I gained.  When you are breastfeeding don't worry about eating less or working out.

2)     Do what works for you
For me it was running.  That's what I've been doing for twenty years.  If you hate to run, don't
expect that you will suddenly enjoy it and if you do something you don't enjoy you won't continue.

3)    Set your goals low
When I started working out again, I could only run for about five minutes and that felt like I had just ran a marathon.  Keep your goals manageable so that you don't get discouraged.

4)     Make your workouts a part of your routine
Doing something at the same time everyday will increase the chances that you will stick to it.

5)      Use accountability
For me, my kids made me accountable.....I took them on jogs with me and they learned to take a
nap while I was jogging.  It got to the point that if we weren't able to go out for our jog, the kids
would be grumpy.  Another idea is to hire a babysitter (if you can afford it) or have someone come spend time with the kids while you workout.  Or you could have your partner take care of them during your workout, but make sure that he or she is adamant about holding you accountable.

6)     Watch what you eat
For me to get back to my prepregnancy weight, I had to run A LOT and I had to seriously cut down my calories.  I would drink a 16 ounce Green Goodness fruit and vegetable smoothie for breakfast and lunch and then have a full meal for dinner.  I cut out all sweets for a time, as well.  Once I got a little bit below my prepregnancy weight, I started eating normally again.  This was the only thing that would take off the last 15 pounds.

7)     Don't expect your prepregnancy body to return
Although I weigh the same as before, I have about four inches of extra skin, not mention the stretch marks.  Those, I can't run off.

8)     Listen to your body
I hate excuses and the only reason that you should skip a workout is because your body is telling you there is something wrong.  Weather, tiredness, allergies...Those are all excuses.  When your body is telling you something is wrong, make sure you do listen and cut back, so that you don't further injure yourself, but be honest about it.  The only person you are hurting is you.

There really isn't a secret to losing the weight.  You have to use diet and exercise.  Hope these tips help!

No comments:

Post a Comment