Saturday, August 4, 2012

Saturday Sprints: The Slow Road to a Marathon

  I've been struggling with my Saturday posts....We now do all of our 'crafts' to coincide with our lesson, so they are covered in out Teaching Triplets Tuesdays.  I started doing Saturday Sprints on the days that I compete in races, so I decided to expand on that idea.  At the beginning of each month, I will post a monthly training schedule and for the other Saturdays of the month I will blog about running tips, races that I've competed in, and other helpful running information.  Every week, I will post my training for that week.  This will not be the same as my monthly training schedules, since for this I will start at the very beginning (getting to the point in which you can run 30 minutes without the need to stop).  The sections about my training is  more of an opportunity for me to journal my road to the marathon.  This is a slow journey to a marathon....So the training schedule is roughly 20 months.  I don't know how many people are interested in this type schedule, but I'm hoping that it will be more than only me.  I designed my schedule using two methods; one from a book called The Non-Runners Marathon Trainer and the other was created for me by a former marathon runner.  I combined both methods and actually doubled their links so that I now have a slow and hopefully easy and injury free marathon training schedule.  So with no further ado, my first formal Saturday Sprints:

Monthly Training:
Week One:  Moderate walking pace(17-20 min/mile)  for 30 minutes, three days of the week
Week Two: Moderate walking pace (17-20 min/mile)  for 30 minutes, four days of the week
Week Three: Fast walking pace (13-16 min/mile) for 30 minutes, three days of the week
Week Four: Fast walking pace (13-16 min/mile)  for 30 minutes, four days of the week

My Training Week:
Monday:        3 miles
Tuesday:        4 miles
Wednesday:  Active Recovery (walked 3 miles)
Thursday:      3 miles
Friday:          Recovery
Saturday:       6 miles (long run)
Sunday:         Recovery




No comments:

Post a Comment