Thursday, February 23, 2012

Baby Food Update

So now that its been over a week since I started making the babies' meals I thought I'd post a quick update.  Its been going great and I use the book Super Baby Food often.  Just as a side note to anyone that is looking into this book, I do have a few criticisms.  First of all the overall layout is horrendous!   The author is constantly back referencing and pretty much has you flipping through the entire (lengthy) book constantly.  The order is just not user friendly at all and this makes it a lot more confusing then it could be.  The author is also very wordy and its hard to weed through the unnecessary tips and other needless information.  When you're raising triplets its hard enough to find time to read a book.  Also, her recommendation for portion sizes are WAY off.  The triplets share a meal designed for one eight month old (and that is usually a big full bowl).  The last criticism, it is a vegetarian diet and it doesn't mention that before you get well into the book.  That's no problem, but the author suggests supplementing meat protein with nuts at a very early age.  Nuts are an allergenic and should not be given to young babies.  I had to buy a separate book in order to learn how to feed the triplets meats.  Anyway here is how I have their meals planned:

Breakfast:  1/2 cup of yogurt, 1/2 a large avocado, 1 banana, and two food 'ice' cubes of a vitamin c fruit
                 (usually strawberries or cantaloupe)- All mixed together (its really good.  I eat the left overs)
Lunch: 3 food 'ice' cubes of brown rice porridge, 1 super green veggie food 'ice' cube (they can only have
            spinach right now), 1 vitamin a veggie food 'ice' cube (either sweet potato or carrot), 1 vitamin c food
            'ice' cube (the fruit they didn't have for breakfast), and 1/2 a banana- All mixed together
Dinner: (more like dessert at this point) 4 food 'ice' cubes of blueberry cobbler made with blueberries,
            oatmeal, cinnamon, vanilla, and maple syrup- Once they are used to eating dinner, this is where I'll
            add the meat meal.
I was really skeptical on how they would eat their new food, but I was pleasantly surprised that they love it!



FYI:  I didn't post last night, because the trips had a little meltdown at bedtime.  Instead of being on my computer, Charli Kate decided I needed to join her on a 'midnight' stroll to help calm her down.  It happens sometimes and it was a beautiful night to be out.  I actually enjoyed it.  I don't remember the last time I was outside after the sun went down.

No comments:

Post a Comment