Monday, February 20, 2012

Top Five Questions I get Asked

Having triplets generates a lot of attention.  We get stopped constantly, so I decided it would be fun to post the top questions that I'm asked (not including the obvious i.e. how old are they and what are their genders):

5.    Q: Did you have them naturally? (other versions; do multiples run in your family)
       A:  No. (Warning; may be TMI) I did take injectable fertility medicine which was horrible.  Everyday for about two weeks I had to give myself a shot in the stomach and every other day I had to get my blood drawn and go into the doctor's office to keep track of how the medication was effecting me.  When it was determined that I would produce enough eggs for a good possibility that I would be pregnant (in my case, we had three eggs.  I guess we know exactly where they ended up), I gave myself a final shot to force ovulation.  After that I had two rounds of IUI (if you want to learn more about IUI click on the link).
     It's funny because the procedure that we did has a low chance of multiples, let alone triplets.  We actually discussed this with our doctor and she told us, "not to worry.  We had a better chance of getting struck by lightning than having multiples." I guess some things are just meant to happen.


4.     Q: How do you go shopping alone with all three of them?
        A: It's pretty easy.  We go everyday as a part of our schedule.  There's two reasons for this; the babies know what to expect and actually look forward to our trip to the store and I can only buy enough groceries to fit inside a reusable shopping bag.  I hook the shopping bag onto the handle to the stroller and fill it up as I go.  We do get stopped constantly, but I've learned to not stop and ignore people when I'm in a hurry.  The babies never cry during our shopping trip.  They love it.


3.      Q: Did you carry them?  (usually followed by, but you're so tiny)
         A:  As most of you know, I did carry the triplets and we did not have a saregate (not sure about the spelling).  Its a misconception that only larger people can carry multiples.  My skin stretches like everyone else's.  The only down side is that taller women can usually carry longer than shorter women.  But I did pretty good.  At least we have three healthy babies.


2.     Q:  How do you manage all three? (or Do you have help?)
        A:  For the majority of the day it's just me and the babies.  I did have help from my mom when they first came home (for about two months), but after I figured out how to handle things myself she enjoyed the rest of her summer vacation and I knew I could call if I needed help.  It's actually not as hard as I thought it would be.  You just have to have a good schedule that works for everyone.


1.    Q:  Are those triplets?  (Strangest version of this question, You didn't have all of those at once?)
       A:  Yes they are triplets.  I've often wondered what people thought when they asked this question.  Do they think that they are just close in age?  Do they think I'm a babysitter for multiple families?  Do they think that the girls are twins and I have a boy close in age?  I don't know; I guess to me it will always be obvious that they are triplets.

Anyway, here is a video.  Just because it's cute.


     

No comments:

Post a Comment