Tuesday, March 20, 2012

1-2-3 Cake

 As I mentioned before, I don't feed my kids sugar, but GiGi and PopPop are already spoiling them and they brought some 1-2-3 cake over for us.  I think it was PopPop's idea.  So I had to make it for them.  I got to admit, I did only give them a little and ate the rest myself, but they did love it.
  All joking aside, every diet does need wiggle room and even Bob Greene, Oprah's health food guru, supports the idea of allowing a little bit of junk food in your daily diet.  I believe he said on the Nate Berkus Show to let junk food make up something like 10% of your daily calories.  The idea stems from the fact that you shouldn't deprive yourself of anything; deprivation will only cause you to binge.  With that in mind 1-2-3 cake is a good choice.  The fact that it is only a small single serving instead of an entire cake will help to control the craving without the damage of eating a gigantic portion.  Enough of my lecturing...Here's the recipe:

1 box Angel Food cake mix
1 box any flavor cake mix
2 T. water

Directions:

Using a large plastic bowl with a tightly fitting lid or a large zip lock bag, combine the two boxes of cake mix stirring or shaking well.

For each individual serving,  take out 3 T. of the cake mixture and mix it with 2 T. of water in a small microwave safe container.  I used a small coffee mug.  Microwave on high for 1 minute.  You now have your own instant individual cake and it is warm and inviting.  You can top with a dollop of fruit or whipped topping if you like.

Try various flavors of cake mix but it must always be combined with an Angel Food mix.

Keep the mix tightly sealed in an airtight container until used and remember:  This recipe is called 1-2-3 Cake because all you need to remember is 3 T.mix, 2 T. water, and 1 minute in the microwave. 

No comments:

Post a Comment