Thursday, March 15, 2012

Controlled Crying Technique

   Charli Kate started waking up in the middle of the night by gradually waking up earlier and earlier each morning.  This happened before the time change, so their scheduled morning feeding was anytime after 5am.  I would wake up twenty minutes beforehand to get their bottles ready and have a cup of coffee.  CK would start waking up five minutes after I woke up and I would think that since it was only 15 minutes before 5am, I would start feeding her.  And then she started waking up at 4:30am and then 3:00am and even 12:30am.  We went back to two formula feedings and one solid feeding at night and she started sleeping through the night again.  With the time change, we decided to keep their same schedule, but they would just be starting at 6am instead of 5am.  Well, earlier this week, Charli Kate started it again.  She started waking up at 5:30am and so I thought, 'well, I'm just going to feed her'.  The next night, she woke up at 5:18am.  Then I thought, 'alright, I'm going to have to pull up my britches and start the tough parenting.'  That night, I left her in her crib.  I would go and check on her, but I would not feed her until after 6am.  Of coarse, by the time 6 rolled around all three were screaming in their cribs.
  Not wanting a repeat of that night, but also not wanting to wake up in the middle of the night to feed CK, I turned to the Supernanny.  Awhile ago (I mean before the triplets, when were still planning to adopt) I bought the Supernanny book (loved the show) and it was the first place I looked for a solution.  Jo Frost suggested the 'Controlled Crying Technique' (instructions below) and I figured I would give it a spin with one twist.  When Charli Kate woke up, I would put her in the play pen in the living room so she wouldn't wake up her siblings.  I basically tried this method the previous night only with a lot more talking.  Anyway, I've been practicing this technique for the past two nights and I've been pretty pleased with the results.  The first night, CK woke up at 5:30am, I carried her to the play pen and stayed with her since I was getting up in 10 minutes anyway.  She continued to cry, but I was just glad that she slept in later than the previous night.  Last night, she woke up at 5:15am, but this time when I put her in the play pen, she went back to sleep (as did I). :)  Every once in awhile she would give a little cry, but she would immediately stop without me having to intervene.  The only snag, now I can't have my cup of coffee and prepare their bottles.  I don't want to risk waking her up before I'm ready to feed her.  After all, the whole point is getting her to sleep past 6am.  Anyway, I'm happy with the results thus far.  Jo says it will take about a week to correct the problem, so it looks like I'm in for early mornings...at least for a little while.

Controlled Crying Technique (from http://www.askamum.co.uk/Baby/Search-Results/Sleep/Sanity-Savers-8-ways-to-apply-the-controlled-crying-technique/):

1. Settle your babyGet him ready for bed in a calm environment, give him his bottle (if he still has one), read a story and settle him into his cot. Give him a hug and kiss and say goodnight.
2. Leave the roomWhether he has started to cry or call for you, say your goodnights and calmly and confidently leave the room. Leave a light on if it helps, but don’t get drawn into conversation.
3. Wait a few minutesDo not rush straight in when you hear him cry. Stand outside the door and listen to hear whether his cry is becoming more distressed or if it is getting less.
4. Go in, settle him, leaveIf his cry is becoming more distressed, after a couple of minutes go into his room, lay him back down in his cot, comfort him but do not get drawn into conversation. Then confidently leave the room again.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4Repeat these steps if his cry continues, but leave a minute or two longer between going back in. This will help him to learn that you are never far away but help him grow in confidence that he is OK on his own.
6. Stay calm and confidentIf you get distressed in front of him, he will pick up on this and get more upset. If he sees you are clam and reassuring, it will help him feel calmer.
7. Be firmIf he reaches his arms up to you to pick him up, don’t. It will undermine all the work you have done and teach him that all he has to do is cry if he doesn’t want to go to bed.
8. Be ready for the long haulIt may take more than one night to achieve results from the controlled crying technique. Often it can take up to 3 nights to see a difference. Persevere. Repeating the pattern for 3 nights should yield results with him going longer and longer between cries.

No comments:

Post a Comment