Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Better Than Botox

  Okay, so the title is a bit of a misnamer, but 'Better Than Reconstructive Surgery' didn't sound as good.  Anyway, as you can imagine, carrying triplets did quite a number on my skin.  My stomach, hips, and thighs are paved with winding roads of angry purple stretch marks and the skin around my stomach sags like a droopy, rotten peach.  I was always under the impression that the skin would tighten and heal, and then I accidentally tuned into Dr. Drew.  If you are unfamiliar with Dr. Drew, he is (now) a talk show host and the father of triplets. Even though I hadn't meant to watch the show my interest was piqued because he was talking with Kate Goslin (Kate Plus Eight).  They began to discuss staying in shape and the body of a mother of higher order multiples.  To my great disappointment, Dr. Drew proceeded to comment that, "the body is just not designed to carry so many children and the only way to restore the brutality of the birth of multiples is by reconstructive surgery.  That's what my wife had to get done.  It just tares up your body." (paraphrased)
   This was depressing to me.  There is no way that I am going to have reconstructive surgery and I just don't feel confident about the way I look.  I understand that beauty is only skin deep, but I do not feel good about myself or confident about the way I look.  Our appearance on the outside can effect us emotionally and after I had the kids I have not had the same confident body image that I once had.  So, I've set out to prove Dr. Drew wrong.  I am going to change the appearance of my skin naturally.  Here is how:

-In the morning and at night, I'm going to hydrate my skin with pure vitamin E oil and Aloe (Vitamin E helps to tighten loose skin and aloe restores damage)
-Every other day I will scrub my skin with a mixture of olive oil and coffee grinds (Olive oil helps to hydrate and the caffeine in the coffee helps to smooth skin while the grinds scrub away dead skin)
-Every other day (after I use my scrub) I apply self-tanner.  I apply a coat just over the stretch marks and, after drying, a coat over the rest of my skin.  This will help to cover the appearance of the stretch marks
-Stay hydrated every day

  So I'm going to be brave and post a picture of me in a bikini and without any make-up.  Hopefully in a few months (years) I can post another one with beautiful, purple road and rotten peach free skin.  Maybe by then everyone will be using my skin tightening formula.

1 comment:

  1. I am so going to try that olive oil and coffee scrub. Well after triplets, let me tell you that you look awesome! If you are looking for a good workout, P90X just the cardio three times a week helped me out a lot.

    ReplyDelete