Saturday, March 17, 2012

Those You're Closest to: Jenya

Why is it that the people we are closest to are often the ones we mistreat?  Its so easy to be nice to strangers and to remember to be polite in public, but that demeanor easily melts away as soon as we pass the Welcome Home mat.  Its as if we know our family has no choice but to put up with our criticism, bad moods, and horrible attitudes.  That's such a shame since our families should be the one soft spot that we can fall when everything is tough.  Our homes are suppose to be a refuge from the cruel world; not a whirlwind of conflict.  Keeping this in mind, I'm focusing my small acts of kindness on a series called 'Those You're Closest to'.  Each week I will focus on someone close in my life and reflect upon the things they have done for me, the things that may have gone unnoticed and I will try to show them my appreciation in some thoughtful way.  This last week, it was an obvious choice to focus on my husband, Jenya.  He works so hard so that the kids and I have everything we need or want.  To show my appreciation, I gave him a day off.  I told him we will do whatever he want to do and I won't complain or nag at him the entire day.  He spent the morning watching movies and he played with us for a good chunk of the day.  It was something small I could to do to let him know that I appreciate him.  I challenge you to do something small to someone you are close to.  Lets turn the word into a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment